Wednesday 27 August 2014

A long break from the blog

***Disclaimer: my copy+paste function was acting up and I realize some words aren't aligned correctly but I'm far too lazy to re-write the whole article so.. fml***

It's been a while hasn't it?  I haven't been posting projects on here so often lately due to multiple reasons (lack of time with a kid, not wanting to show off models I plan to use in competitions, no good photos etc) but have found without posting stuff I don't motivate myself enough.

Here is something I've finished recently: Tiberion.  I had this guy assembled and base coated for a long time but only got around to completing him now.  This is the first Skorne model I've painted since last year I believe and I've made an adjustment to my NMM gold recipe.



I found my original gold color was too dark for my liking and a little complicated to achieve - using paints from multiple different manufacturers.  I wanted to find something brighter colors and ideally colors from one company (I find the same brand paints mix together easier than trying to mix different brands and this is probably due to the colors sharing the same ingredients?).  I went with my favorite, P3, and I'm really liking it.



I start off with a base of 50:50 Bloodstone and Rucksack Tan.  I'll then have my 2nd layer be pure Rucksack Tan.  I'll now go back a couple stages (something I'm really starting to get into after attending Meg Maple's master class) with pure Sanguine Base as a shade.  The red shade makes a great, dark but still warm contrast with the pale sand color I finish off with.  After playing with the shade color for a while I'll start highlighting again with 50:50 Rucksack Tan and Moldy Ochre.  I'll then do a layer of pure Moldy Ochre.  Finally I'll finish off with an extreme highlight of 50:50 Moldy Ochre and Menoth White Highlight.  I found one of my favorite things with this recipe to be the huge contrast between the dark red/purple shade and the bright off-white highlight.

I also finished Tyrant Xerxis using the same variance in gold as Tiberion.  I'll definitely be sticking with this one from now on. 







I will also be making a blog post announcement shortly that will rock you to your core!! Not really.. I doubt it will change much at all but desperate times call for desperate measures!  Stay tuned...




3 comments:

  1. how do you do the red for the skorne? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. really keen to know how you do the red?, it looks very good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sorry for the late reply. My reds are:
      1. base p3 Sanguine Base
      2. layer p3 Sanguine Base mixed with p3 Skorne Red 50:50
      3. layer p3 Skorne Red
      4. layer p3 Skorne Red mixed with p3 Khador Red Base 50:50
      5. layer Khador Red Base
      6. edge highlight Khador Red Base mixed with GW Bronze flesh 50:50
      7. extreme edge highlight pure GW Bronze Flesh
      8. 4-5 glazes of extremely watered down p3 Skorne Red

      of course, feather each layer carefully whilst always leaving some of the previous layer visible for a fine transition between shades

      Delete